Monday, September 17, 2007

The MBA Tour

I visited the MBA tour yesterday. Since last couple of weeks MBA bug has bit me and I spend significant amount of time researching about schools. After having a bachelors degree in engineering from India. 2 Master of science degrees in engineering and statistical sciences I am not sure if I want to pursue an MBA. I believe my current education is enough. But unfortunately after working 5 years in Operations field as Industrial Engineer (Automotive), Quality Engineer (Automotive), Defect reduction/yield engineer(Semiconductor). I am still clueless in what I want to pursue in my Career. As I am feeling stuck doing back office jobs...crunching numbers...and making reports for managers. I believe I have skills, knowledge and know how. I should be given more responsibilities. I am getting paid well but that Job satisfaction is not there. All jobs I have done in the past after 18 months usually I feel fed up and I seek to move up to a better position. I should get out of this mode.
The MBA tour was great. I attended seminars from Univ. of Michigan, Purdue, Cornell, Canegie Mellon and Wharton MBA program directors. Great schools! But what are my chances to get in?
And even if I get in....Is it worth spending 2 years in school taking the classes I have already taken. The lost salary and financing the education with Family responsibility would be expensive affair.

I am focusing on MBA with Operations focus and as a result I want to place myself into world class consulting firms like Booz Allen Hamilton, AT Kearny etc.
My target schools are:

1. MIT Sloan
2. Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
3. Cornell (Twelve Month Option)
4. Wharton
5. Haas
6. Stanford
7. Kelloggs
8. Chicago

Lets see where I end up. My goal is to apply for Fall 2009.

No comments: